Friday 22 August 2008

Symbols, realities, the unseen

We may not believe in clairvoyance or clairsentience ourselves, but many people admit to a few instances in their lives when something tipped them off to potential danger, an event involving someone close, or something like that. Sometimes when joggling along on a bus or train thinking nothing in particular, an image pops into my head which I'm sure is not mine. Once I felt a chap opposite me was boring a hole in my calf with his eyes. I got off at the next station and ran to another carriage! Another time, in a peaceful frame of mind on a nice sunny day I felt suddenly panicked and squeamish and clutched my bag over my stomach. When the chap next to me got off I looked closely and saw nothing but an ordinary young man in smart casual clothes. I've no idea why there was that reaction in me. Another time I sat next to a woman and felt incredibly depressed which vanished as soon as she left.

To return to the INTRODUCTION where I mentioned photography and phenomena that appear on some photos or only to people with heightened abilities, I think the old plate-type method of capturing images was advantageous, but digital methods along with enhancement techniques in readily available software probably work well.

What ran through my mind was that areas of the spectrum like ultra-violet or infra-red might show things that most of us can't see. Having known a number of people who seemed consistently psychically sensitive, I realise they don't all get similar impressions or symbols, unless there is something like a group-mind phenomenon, or something is perhaps closer to the physical realm, or there is some other variable.

It seems certain symbols, constructs or psychological constellations, occur idiosyncratically to people, and their train of thought takes them towards something they interpret in ways that may be meaningful to others. Some people can be accurate for a significant percentage, then go off on some sidetrack which proves meaningless or just wrong.

The reason for listing some books written by those who are better writers than I am and experienced in their field, is so that you can follow up anything mentioned. I do not have the time or inclination to attempt explaining all sides of arguments, or to claim to be doing so then coming to roost on one side of some fence. I don't ask people to believe everything here but I do feel some of the points are valid.

Years ago I got hold of books written by Dion Fortune and was fascinated by her claim that sensitives can see or pick up complexes or aspects that people shut off from themselves. She said these dissociated parts could take on independent life of their own. To see or sense those would be a lovely time-saving way to carry out counselling or therapy, I thought, and what if you could photograph them? (This subject is mentioned in 'Healing Approaches' towards the end of the Blog, more specifically in connection with Pranic Healing and Pranic Psychotherapy.)

Another concept is that of auras or chakras, and we may be picking up on those in some way even though not seeing or believing in them. They may be the mechanics of how we become affected by others, how we affect other people, and even how we could be affecting ourselves. It's complex so here is a link to a talk by Phoebe Bendit at the Theosophical Society in London in 1953: http://www.theosophical.ca/SacredFlame.htm She was married to Dr L.J. Bendit a psychiatrist with knowledge of Jungian and depth psychology. In her talk she comments on unrecognised parts of ourselves with an autonomous life of their own.

You may prefer a different framework such as Chinese or Ayurvedic Medicine, but there are many common themes.

Although I became somewhat disenchanted with some of her approach, Dion Fortune wrote a classic book about psychic attack and methods of defence, which caught my attention because of experiences I had while moving around different work-places and environments, particularly where another person was not acknowledging a problem for them. I am not psychic but quite empathic. She describes problem areas, or attack, as taking the line of least resistance, the more sensitive people being first to be affected. It's like a circuit: remove the most sensitive person or the 'weakest link' and the next most sensitive is likely to suffer. Make of it what you will or find useful, but basically if you feel someone is putting psychological or psychic pressure on you, find a mental strategy to fend it off. Or wear leather round your waist, or on the feet, hands etc.

Before I close I'd like to mention a point relating to Asperger's Syndrome which is often described as being at the less extreme end of a continuum of Autism. I don't know, and don't wish to offend anyone here but it may help someone. I knew someone with Asperger's for a long time till it became apparent she suffers problems with psychic flashes or visions when meeting people. When I followed this up it seems this sometimes goes along with other aspects of Asperger's. I feel this type of experience of my friend has quite a lot to do with psychic sensitivity, or not being able to filter out as much as most of us do naturally.

Dr Arthur Guirdham wrote similarly about his own psychic sensitivity and many of the other things he writes on seem to fit. There will be more on these areas under 'Possession approaches', 'Influence approaches', 'Spiritual approaches'.

- - - - -

John Keel writes on UFO's and other phenomena, and see his writing on the Mothman for ideas about people's fears or expectations affecting their experience

'Unseen Beings: Unseen Worlds' by Tom Dongo gets into a variety of scenarios, some of which you may find far-fetched

See quantum physics relating to observer effects on experiments

See 'Natural Symbols' by Mary Douglas, an anthropologist

See 'Daimonic Reality: Understanding Otherworld Encounters' by Patrick Harpur
As far as I recall the author suggests people tend to see or experience things in terms of their frame of reference and expectation. There's a similar concept in a book by some psychic researchers who experienced entities appearing along the lines of what they'd been seeking in the first place. Some crop circle researchers have tried to influence future designs or make contact with other levels in this way.



- - - - -

No comments: